Senior-Living or Senior Citizen Housing Projects is a conceptual active-lifestyle that has gained a lot of popularity in recent years. When people enter the golden years of their lives, it’s like the youth all over again – no responsibilities and lots of free time at their disposal. However, at this age, people require certain care – someone to look after them, and not harming their independence at the same time. Senior Living is anything but “old-age homes”. Basically, senior living homes are just normal housing projects – with added perks and care for the senior citizens living there. These perks include house-help, caretakers (as and when needed), first-aid and immediate medical attention, a healthy and active lifestyle, community building activities, and much more. Because of these benefits, there are many Senior citizen housing projects coming up in India.
Seven reasons why children should let their parents move into a senior-living:
- Parents have to adjust according to us when they live with us. In an average modern household, children are usually working individuals, which means work 5/6 days a week, outings only on the weekends (if any), or spending time with their family only on the weekends. All routine – of eating, sleeping, etc. revolves around the working individuals which in turn takes a toll on the health of senior citizens of the house. For people who have worked all their lives for their children giving them a good life, it is only natural that their lives should no more revolve around their children or grandchildren.
- Most of the people in the city are working individuals which basically means living trapped in four walls for the senior citizens. Throughout the day, parents have to live alone, which is really unhealthy – humans being social animals, at any age, we do require friends, and need to socialize which is mostly impossible in cities. Even the housemaids and house help are not trustworthy in the beginning in major cities to be left alone with parents.
- When children are working somewhere away from their parents and they’re living alone, it’s better for them to live in a senior living. For parents who are living alone, there are very few people to look after them or take care of them. Living without friends at any age can be really troublesome. Senior living homes ensure continuous care(optional) and a hassle-free lifestyle for all, along with a community of people that soon become friends from neighbors, and family in no time.
- Senior-living gives a community of like-minded and same age group people. As addressed in the previous point, life at senior living homes is never lonely. There are lots and lots of activities, and lots of free time to take part in them. People think that a community consisting of only senior citizens and no youth may not be a good idea, but youth is not defined by age, youth is nothing but having carefree time and doing things at our own will. This is something that makes all the senior citizens living in senior living homes, younger than ever.
- It’s much better and different than dull old-age homes. Old-age homes are mostly a non-indulging environment, unlike senior living homes. Senior living homes are self-owned apartments, unlike the dorms in old-age homes. Old-age homes are mostly charitable, while senior-living homes form a self-owned community, hence, better facilities in all terms. Medical assistance in senior living homes is far better than any old-age home offers. Moreover, senior living homes have tie-ups with good hospitals for cases of emergency, unlike old-age homes that rush to the nearest hospital in such cases.
- It’s optional for the residents to take help/care and cafe food, they can lead a totally independent life and cook for themselves, do chores themselves, or have house help – totally their call. Senior living homes do not impose any kind of care or help upon the residents. It’s totally their call – how they wish to lead their life, to participate in activities or not, to play sports or not, basically, independence in the true sense, yet not independent to a point that no one’s looking after them.
- Senior living allows the senior citizens to rediscover themselves, polish their long-lost talents/hobbies, learn new stuff, play sports, do yoga, go walking or running, all of which basically feels like youth – all over again! Senior living homes are equipped with courts of various sports, gymnasiums, clubhouses, swimming pools, amphitheater, jogging, and walking tracks, etc. In addition to all these, yoga clubs, environment clubs, reading clubs, etc. are there to keep the senior citizens occupied and help them socialize more with a cause or hobby.
Healthcare and social life are the two major perks of any senior living. These projects are equipped with all the necessary facilities and staff to make the life of each and every senior citizen hassle-free and get all their work done without them having to worry about it. On the other hand for people who like to be independent and do their work themselves, there’s no boundation whatsoever – to have food at community cafes, or to have caretakers, etc.
Various activities lined up in the calendar of senior livings make it easy for everyone to socialize and make friends. Senior living homes give an experience so good that none of the residents ever wish to move out!
Senior living houses are often discarded by people for the reason that it is not our culture, but the truth is there’s always been a culture of independent living for senior citizens, which was earlier known as ‘Vanaprastha Ashram’. Living in senior-living homes isn’t the abandonment of seniors. It is giving them an independent life, a new beginning, a lifestyle that is hassle-free, active, and among the community of similar aged and like-minded individuals. Many Senior Citizen projects have come up in India.
Below are some common #Myths about Senior-Living Homes-
- Myth#1: Old-Age Homes and Senior-Living Homes are the same
Senior Living Homes are in no way comparable to old-age homes except for the fact that both are for senior citizens. Senior living homes are individual houses where the residents are the owners of their house and are independent to live their life on their own terms, cook, clean, and do stuff as they please with readily available assistance but only based on their choice and not forced upon.
- Myth#2: There are no choices or no independence in Senior-Living Homes
Every resident is free to live their life on their own terms. Senior-Living homes allow elders in their silver years to enjoy activities that are choice-based with an independent lifestyle.
- Myth#3: Food in Senior-Living Homes is pathetic and no option of cooking
This is a major myth about senior-living homes. Just like in normal homes, residents can cook their own meals or have delicious and nutritious meals at the community dining cafes. It isn’t necessary to be regular in the cafe or so, people can cook some days and eat-in cafe the others.
- Myth#4: Life is boring in a senior living community
Residents have a choice to spend their day in various activities and/or with their friends and neighbors. Senior-living houses are well-equipped with various sports and recreational activities which are anything but boring! A recreational calendar with ample activities is aligned for each month to make it fun for all.
- Myth#5: There’s a lot of pressure on residents
Shifting to a senior-living maybe a big deal for some, but once you shift here, there’s no pressure or so. Everything is hassle-free and peaceful. The lifestyle here is perfectly balanced i.e. independent as well are under care. There’s a community of like-minded and similar-aged people who become friends and family in no time. There are a number of leisure activities to spend quality time, and moreover, visitors are allowed at all times and can stay for as long as the residents please.
- Myth#6: Senior Citizens get distant from their family
The families of the senior citizens living in senior-living homes, no doubt, can be a bit distant physically, but seeing them happy, leading a healthy and active life, and making friends among similar-aged people, is an ultimate satisfaction for the family members of the residents living here. Plus, there are no boundations for visits and stay-ins with your loved ones in the Senior-Living homes.
Key features of a good Senior Living Project are-
- Similar age group people around
A neighborhood of similar aged and like-minded people ensures a friendly environment, such neighbors become friends and family in no time.
- Active Life
In your golden years of life, you are free from all responsibilities and have enough time to yourself, which with productive use, can lead to new beginnings.
- Hassle-Free living
Senior Living Homes are equipped with servicemen for all basic needs and a cafe that serves home-like nutritious and delicious food.
- Safe and secure
Most Senior Living projects are gated communities with secured entrance and CCTV surveillance to ensure security and safety at all times.
- Age-Friendly design
One of the basic perks of Senior Living Homes is age-friendly designs – be it anti-slip tiles, or chamfered edges of walls, everything is taken care of.